5 Facts about Cabernet-Sauvignon
- It’s the most popular wine grape variety and is grown in the world
- There’s a reason why it tastes great with steak… Cabernet Sauvignon act as “scrapers” to fats and proteins that collect on your tongue from the food you eat.
- France and California are the well known as ideal places to grow Cabernet Sauvignon. But the grape is grown around the world including Italy, South America, Australia, Washington and Oregon, as well as other regions.
- It has higher levels of an aroma compound called Methoxypyrazine which is why it’s noted for aromas of black pepper, green peppercorn, black currant and sometimes even bell pepper
- Despite its prominence in the industry, the grape is a relatively new variety. It’s the product of a chance crossing between Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc during the 17th century